Tuesday, 3 August 2010

JLC2011 - Advance planning

I have been doing some digging into the options for 2011 and need some guidance. Would be grateful if we can start a dialogue here.

Back in May 2009, I floated Belgium as a possible location (see here) and we discussed this when in Norn Iron.

Last weekend, Kathryn and I crossed the Channel to have a look at a possible hotel and some of the courses we could play. The hotel we stayed in was in a good location, functional, with excellent food. Golf courses ranged from excellent (Royal Waterloo) to open/well-maintained (d'Hulencourt) to good/interesting (Tournette) and all within easy distance of the hotel.

Last month, we also went to Nice to play golf in Provence, which was splendid. We played two great courses (Royal Mougins and Taulane) and I am sure could find others similar, but would have to drive 30-45 mins to reach them.

I have therefore given some thought to the two options and would welcome your thoughts.

The big difference is one of price - I have made a very rough estimate of the costs and reckon there is a 50% premium on the South of France. You can see my detailed calculations here - I would welcome any feedback, especially from recent organisers, in case I have made any mistakes in putting the costings together.

As I see it, for discussion, the pros/cons are the following:

Belgium: Easy travel, good food, reasonable price, good (but not great) golf, weather a risk.

France: More expensive, more driving, classier golf, warmer and also good food.

Let the debate commence...

ADDENDUM

I have now received an indicative quotation for the French version of this holiday at £799/person (incl golf, one dinner, b&b, car hire, but excluding flights), which changes the relative economics. Yet to do some DD on the two new golf courses proposed (Cannes Mougins and St. Donat), but have adapted the relative costings here.

Let the debate continue...

ADDENDUM 2 - Corrected for error spotted by eagle-eyed Adrian

And one thing more: I have a firm quote from the Belgian hotel now (the consequences of which you can explore by clicking on this link. I think that is all I can do for now: would welcome any thoughts and will organise a get together in September to discuss... the ball is now in the members' court.

Let the debate begin...

14 comments:

  1. Good to see you taking your responsibilities seriously with all these reconnaisance trips. On balance I would go for Belgium if only to minimise the travel time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please note the ADDENDUM to the original posting

    ReplyDelete
  3. And also a second ADDENDUM added to original post to include accurate quotation from Belgian hotel, which has brought prices down, I am pleased to say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have played a seaside course in Belgium, Royal Zoote, and it wasn't that great.
    Another possibility is Holland, where there are terrific seaside courses and a few great inland ones as well. The problem there is access on a weekend.
    I would vote 1000 percent for the South of France. The weather in Provence in May is a dream come true, and the food can't be beat any time of year. Martin, i am happy to help you withthe research on this, although you are already doing a great job...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Flights to Marseilles are cheap - and BA does flights out of Gatwick, which is better for us than HRW. The rental van/car pickup is easy and the airport small(ish) too, and the motorway to Provence starts right out the door of the airport. I think Easyjet goes there too from Gatwick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Mark. No assistance required as have actually been to both locations to test courses. Airport is Nice, not Marseilles and I am not flying SleezyJet anywhere - others may of course make their own minds up...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thought I had put my comments on last night!


    Having looked at courses and hotel, I would favour south france if only £70 difference!

    However, my experience is that you buggers change my plans at the last minute making it unpredictable! How about Turkey?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Turkey in jest, but martin your second costings only show a £72 difference?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah ! £109 difference, is that correct?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Apologies if this message keeps repeating but on hols in deepest Italy and computer functions here utterly bizarre even by my standards.
    The revised costings for JLC 2011 appear to lack a figure for food and drink in the totals section at the bottom for the french option. Is this included elsewhere, or are we rebranding to Le Bobby Sands Cup?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adrian - message only received once, so no worries. Thanks for spotting the schoolboy Excel error which has now been corrected.

    Latest view of costings can be found by clicking on this link.

    I hope this is now enough to be getting on with: we should get together some time after the Bank Holiday to discuss.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I am utterly impressed with the amount of reconnaissance work that Martin has put in. Quite a tall order for future JLC organisers to follow (Adrian next?)
    As to costings my gut feel tells me that ca. 1000 GBP should probably be a reasonable figure for a golfing weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chaps,

    Weather should mean the south of France everytime. But Belgium is a lot closer and possibly cheaper.

    South of France ticks two boxes (i) good golf and (ii) excellent dining.

    On balance south of France is looking good provided we can keep to a budget of circa £1,000 - otherwise Blgium it is.

    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  14. There is something called a golf pass to Provence, with 16 courses participating.

    The link is http://www.golfpass-provence.com/pagesEditos.aspx?idpage=12.

    5 green fees are only 275 Euros in high season, and 2 of the courses are by Avignon. Passholders also get discounted accomodation.
    I will investigate further, but i know that Marseilles is a cheap destination on BA from Gatwick...

    ReplyDelete